Thursday, January 10, 2008

Spicy Onion Rings

I am not sure what I did wrong with this recipe, but the batter did not stick to the onion rings very well. I solved this by pouring some of the batter down over the onion rings in the skillet and then I swirled the onion rings in the batter while it was crisping up. That helped to coat the onion rings, but it also meant a big pile of stuck-together onion rings, which I didn't mind.

I used a Peru sweet onion for the onion rings and used my new mandoline to slice them very thin. I will be making these again as they were very good!


Spicy Onion Rings
Recipe Courtesy of Cathy Lowe (from
http://www.foodnetwork.com/


2 large yellow onions (Spanish)
Salt
Cayenne
1 12-ounce can beer
1 cup of flour, sifted
Tabasco
Oil

Slice off ends of onions and peel off the skins. Slice into 1/2-inch rings. Place rings in a bowl of ice water and let sit.

In separate bowl whisk together beer and flour. Season with salt, cayenne, and a dash of Tabasco. Whisk together.

Dry onion rings on paper towels then dip into batter. Heat oil in a large kettle to 375 degrees. Dip dried onion rings in batter. Fry onion rings until brown and crispy. Serve

No comments: