Monday, January 14, 2008

My dinner for tonight

EDIT: Not only was this meal not good, it was inedible. I warned Michael before dinner that we were trying a new recipe that I had not written tonight so that he could be prepared if it was really bad. It was. Michael couldn't even eat his. I was STARVING so I choked down a few bites of mine. Not only was the flavor atrocious, but it was over-cooked and dry. I followed the recipe exactly, so I'm not to blame for this one. I made cheddar mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli and cauliflower with cheddar cheese on top to serve with this. The chicken was so bad that we lost our appetites and neither of us ate much of anything. Even Isabelle (our Jack Russell Terrier) wasn't even thrilled with the chicken and only reluctantly ate it.

We ended up eating cheesecake for dinner a couple of hours later once we re-gained our appetites.




A while back I bought about one million bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts on sale. I individually bagged them and threw them in the freezer thinking that one day I would find a way to use them. I decided last night that I wanted to use them for dinner tonight and set out to find a recipe. I had NO clue what I wanted to make but I knew I wanted it to be relatively healthy as we had been eating more of Michael's style food, which is kinda junky and high fat & calorie.

I found this recipe on www.allrecipes.com. It had received really good ratings so I thought I would give it a try. I haven't made it yet, but I will let y'all know how it turns out. I'm not sure what I am going to serve with it yet, but I am wanting some broccoli and I have several potatoes that need to be used so I might make rosemary roasted potatoes and broccoli with cheese to serve with this.


Oven Fried Chicken IV
INGREDIENTS
· 2 cups low fat sour cream
· 4 cloves garlic, minced
· 6 chicken drumsticks
· 6 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
· 4 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
· 4 tablespoons crushed dried rosemary
· 3 teaspoons dried sage
· 3 tablespoons garlic powder
· salt and pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a cooling rack on top of a large cookie sheet. Spray the rack with vegetable cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together sour cream and minced garlic. In another bowl, stir together the cornflake crumbs, rosemary, sage, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the sour cream mixture, then roll in the cornflake mixture. Arrange chicken pieces on top of the cooling rack.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, until meat is no longer pink, and juices run clear.

No comments: