Friday, January 11, 2008

Polenta, or Italian style grits

When Michael and I went to Italy in 2004, we noticed that many of the restaurants had dishes that came with something called Polenta. We were told that Polenta is like what southerners call grits. I had to try it to see if it could compete, and it was very good. Last night I had breakfast for dinner and wanted some grits, but discovered that I was out. I did have some corn meal though and I had seen Chef Hottie, oh I mean Tyler Florence make polenta out of corn meal. So I went to www.foodnetwork.com to search for a recipe and this is what I came up with. I halved the recipe, but I had to keep adding liquid because the "grits" were getting very dry. I would estimate that I added at least another 1/2 cup of water. Watch these carefully as they have a tendancy to burn on the bottom. These were good, but not as good as grits. Next time I will see if Paula has a reicpe for grits.


Polenta
From Food Network Kitchens

2 cups chicken broth, homemade or low sodium canned

2 cups water
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or a combination of Pecorino and Parmesan
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the chicken broth and the water to a boil.

While whisking constantly, slowly pour the cornmeal into the hot liquid. Stir in the salt.

Lower the heat to cook the mixture at a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cornmeal is creamy and not grainy, about 30 minutes.

Remove the polenta from the heat and stir in the cheese and the butter. Serve.

Copyright 2001 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved

No comments: