Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ham and Cheese Quiche


I love to make quiche. It is my absolute favorite way to use up leftovers. Well, maybe pizza is. Ok if I never ate anything besides quiche and pizza (and ice cream) for the rest of my life I could be happy. But if I did, then I wouldn't have all these yummy leftovers to use up!

As I told you earlier this week I bought 20 packages of cheese over the weekend. I also had some leftover ham and I always have eggs so the first thing that came to mind was ham and cheese quiche.

I remember as recently as a year ago I would buy a frozen pie crust and think that I was getting a good deal because it was only $1.00. Ha! I don't love making my own and I certainly don't love washing my 25 year old non dishwasher safe food processor, or as I like to call it the tank, but I sure do love those savings!

I use the Better Homes and Gardens single pie crust recipe. Since I follow the directions exactly, I'll just link to that recipe.

Here is my own original "filling" recipe:

7 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
6 ounces cheddar cheese, 2 ounces reserved
1 cup diced ham
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp pepper (please do not use fake pepper in the can)
pinch garlic powder
1 prebaked pie crust

1. Prebake the pie crust according to the recipe.
2. Whip eggs & milk together until they are light and frothy.
3. Add all other ingredients except for the 2 ounces of reserved cheddar cheese, stir together until well combined.
4. Pour into prebaked pie crust.
5. Sprinkle remaining 2 ounces cheese over top of quiche.
6. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 1 hour.
7. Let cool 10 minutes before serving to allow the quiche to fully set.



I am going to start adding serving suggestions to my recipe posts because that is something that always interests me on the blogs that I read. I love reading what others serve with things. It just gives me so many ideas!


Serving suggestions:
basic chopped salad

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks girl!

I've been trying to do a ham quiche too. It's on the Feb plan now!

Hope your mom is feeling better!