Monday, April 14, 2008

Quiche squared

Last night we went over to the *new* home of some of our friends for movie night! I wanted to contribute to the wonderful feast that we always have so I offered to bring quiche.

I have always loved quiche but really fell in love with it in Paris. Now, I am not even going to pretend for a moment that I make authentic French quiche, but it is good and it is easy and it satisfies the craving so I think it's good enough! I made a bacon, cheddar and Monterrey Jack quiche to satisfy my husband's craving for all things bacon and then I made a spinach, sun-dried tomato, Parmesan and mozzarella quiche because well anything is better with sun-dried tomatoes and it just sounded darn good to me as I was thinking of what to make.

Again I had the problem with measuring ingredients, which I DON'T do because I apparently have some sort of aversion to measuring utensils (which explains why I don't terribly enjoy baking) so here is a rough guideline of what I did:

Bacon Quiche

1 package thick sliced bacon

6 eggs

2-ish Tablespoons heavy whipping cream (don't try to use skim milk I did that once to a terrible result really there is nothing in this world like heavy cream)

1 package shredded cheddar Monterrey Jack blend cheese

white pepper (or use what you like I think white pepper is prettier

1 store bought deep dish pie crust (or make your own but you'll have to find your own recipe since I don't do baking I can't recommend a recipe) *also allow this to thaw while you are preparing other ingredients. If it is not thawed all the way it is ok but take it out before you start the other prep work*

1. Broil the bacon. That's right I said broil it. I recently discovered this technique for cooking bacon and I am now a convert. You turn your broiler on high, lay out the bacon on your broiling pan and then just listen (you should hear it sizzling) and use your sniffer to monitor the bacon. When you really start smelling the bacon, check it and it will probably be ready to turn. Then cook on the other side. You want the bacon to be at least done and leaning towards crispy. No soggy bacon for quiches. Once it has finished cooking, remove to paper towels and blot out the grease. Chop into 1/4 inch thick chunks.

2. Use a hand mixer with the whisk attachment to beat 6 eggs and 2-ish Tablespoons heavy cream until foamy.

3. Add bacon, 1/2 of the cheese and white pepper to the eggs.

4. Pour into the pie crust. Top with remaining cheese.

5. Cook at 375 for 35 minutes and then let cool for 10 minutes before you cut into it. Don't skip the cooling process or it won't set properly. Believe me I tried. :)

Spinach, Sun-Dried Tomato, Parmesan and Mozzarella Quiche

1/2 box frozen spinach, thawed and water completely pressed out

1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped (press out the oil first)

6 eggs

2-ish Tablespoons heavy cream

white pepper

garlic powder

onion powder

1/2 bag Mozzarella cheese

1/2 bag *good* Parmesan cheese (don't use crap or the quiche will taste like crap :)

1 frozen deep dish pie crust *again thaw while you prep the other ingredients*

1. Beat the eggs with the heavy cream using a hand mixer until foamy.

2. Add in spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, white pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and all of the Mozzarella.

3. Pour into pie crust and top with the Parmesan cheese

4. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes and allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting.



I hope you enjoy these "recipes" and again sorry about the whole measuring thing... One day I will learn not to just grab bottles and start throwing ingredients together.

No comments: