Thursday, April 24, 2008

Crockpot "baked" chicken and baked garlic rice pilaf

Last night I tried two recipes from nesties. Both turned out really well. The first I made was the crock pot "baked" chicken by Carrie (http://adamswife.blogspot.com/). I made a few changes though. I rubbed the outside of the chicken with olive oil and seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and then quartered 2 lemons and stuffed that in the cavity along with two smashed cloves of garlic. I cooked without liquids on low all day while I was at work. You don't need to add liquid because SO much liquid cooks out of the chicken, plus I figured that I had the lemons inside to keep it moist anyways. The chicken just completely falls apart and is so tender. You don't even need a knife to cut into serving size or to eat it!

The sides that I made to go with it were baked garlic rice pilaf and sauteed green beans (I just add a Tablespoon or so of olive oil to a skilled and add in the snapped green beans. I keep tossing them to make sure they cook evenly. When they are done I add some balsamic vinegar to the pan and let it reduce for a few moments.)

I got the recipe for the garlic rice pilaf from a nestie. I am not sure which blog I got it from so I'll post the links to both. http://jessicasfoodspot.blogspot.com/ and http://amberskitchen.blogspot.com/.
It was really so very good and I highly recommend that you try it. I will definitely be making it again!

Baked Garlic Rice Pilaf
2 tablespoons butter
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon
black pepper
I also used some fresh squeezed lemon, I added it about 15 minutes before it was finished (I did this also)

Preheat oven to 375*. Heat butter in a skillet; add garlic and rice and cook until both are golden brown. Add 1 cup of broth and the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and pour into a covered casserole; bake for 25 minutes. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups broth; cook for another 45 minutes. This can be doubled without increasing the cooking time.

No comments: