Friday, February 8, 2008

Peach turnovers

Last night I made peach turnovers as a treat for my husband. It was my first time trying and overall they came out well. I will share with you what went right, and what went wrong. Probably what went wrong most is that I made up my own recipe. lol Here it is:

Ingredients:
1 package of puff pastry (2 sheets)
1 large can of peach pie filling
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons raw sugar
butter for greasing

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Unwrap puff pastry and use a rolling pin to lightly roll it out in a square shape (most puff pastry comes in a rectangle shape)

3. Using a pizza cutter, cut each sheet of puff pastry into 4 equal sized squares so that you have a total of 8 squares of puff pastry.

4. Grease a large cookie sheet with butter (because I live in the South and butter makes everything better!)

5. One at a time take a square of puff pastry, place it on the greased cookie sheet, and put 2 tablespoons of peach pie filling in the center making sure that you are getting mostly peaches and very little syrup (I realized this when I was almost done which is why I had some turnovers that were soggy from too much syrup).

6. Fold over 1/2 of the puff pastry square to make a triangle shape. Using a fork pinch the edges to seal. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Also using the fork, poke a few holes in the top of the turnover to allow steam to escape.

7. Repeat steps 5&6 until all turnovers are formed.

8. Bake for 15 minutes. Check and make sure that pastry is puffed and golden brown. If not bake for a few more minutes until pastry is puffed and golden brown.

9. Remove pan from oven. Allow pastries to cool on pan for a few minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.

10. Say mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm as you bite into a yummy turnover and smile because YOU made them!

Hope you enjoy!

No comments: