Monday, April 28, 2008

BakingBlonde's Blondies

Yesterday I went to a baby shower and I wanted to contribute to the menu. I took a spinach & cheese quiche as well as the spinach and sun dried tomato quiche I blogged earlier this month. I wanted to provide something sweet and wasn't in the mood for my stand-by recipe of chocolate chip cookies so I thought that blondies would perfectly fit the bill.

I got this recipe from a nestie. Here is the link to her blog:
http://bakingblonde.wordpress.com/

I wanted to add a mix-in to the blondies and thought that I would add in some chocolate chips. I had bought a very small bag of very good chocolate chips that was not nearly enough to make cookies but I thought it would be perfect for these. Unfortunately, the chocolate chips completely melted and kept the blondies from setting properly. So I dumped those on a plate and started over. The next time I used mini M&Ms as the mix-in because I thought the shell would keep them from melting, which it did. This worked perfectly and they were a big hit. I hope you'll try them! Here's the recipe:

Basic Blondies
(Source: Bakingblonde)
8 T. butter, melted
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla or 1/2 tsp. almond extract
pinch salt
1 c. flour

Butter an 8x8" pan.

Mix melted butter with brown sugar-beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla. Add salt, stir in flour. Mix in any additions (some ideas below).

Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until set in the middle.

Cool on rack before cutting.

Add in ideas:1/2 to 1 c. chocolate chips or butterscotch chips 1/2 tsp mint extract in addition to, or in the place of vanilla extract 1/2 c. chopped nuts, chopped up candy bars

No comments: